How to Encrypt the Root Partition with LUKS in Text Mode Installation on CentOS 9?

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
Cyrker

How to Encrypt the Root Partition with LUKS in Text Mode Installation on CentOS 9?

Post by Cyrker » 2024/02/08 13:44:24

Hi!
due to some odd issues with the server, I am unable to enter the graphical installation interface and can only use text mode (textmode) for installation.

However, there is also a need to encrypt the root directory. After searching through related documents, it is mentioned that the encryption of the root directory needs to be done during the installation process.

Therefore, I am seeking help from the community! Currently, this is how I am proceeding: After entering text mode, I switch to another terminal by pressing Alt+Tab and use the commands:

cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sda2
cryptsetup open /dev/sda2 root

to create an encrypted partition. Then, when I switch back to the text-based installation mode and select the installation location, an error occurs. The error message is:

"The existing unlocked Luks device sda2 cannot be used for the installation without an encryption key specified for this device. Please, rescan the storage."

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: How to Encrypt the Root Partition with LUKS in Text Mode Installation on CentOS 9?

Post by TrevorH » 2024/02/08 13:48:26

You can append ' vnc' to the end of the kernel command line (without quotes) before you start the install and then you can run the GUI installer via VNC and use all the options from that. Or alternatively look at using a kickstart file where you can tell the installer exactly what you want to do and then load that ks file using the kernel command line and automate the entire process from then on.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Cyrker

Re: How to Encrypt the Root Partition with LUKS in Text Mode Installation on CentOS 9?

Post by Cyrker » 2024/02/08 14:07:58

Thanks for you reply!
I try to add the tag like this!

and the output is

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2024/02/08 14:54:57

I am suspecting that it does not have an ip address assigned. I am fairly sure the installer defaults to using ip=dhcp so it should pick one up from a DHCP server if there is one present. If you don't have a DHCP server then you may need to tell it what the ip address and interface should be, search for ip= in https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... ller/index for the syntax on how to do that.

For some weird reason everything except ip= is inst.something= but ip= is just that, no inst.
Use the FAQ Luke

Cyrker

Post by Cyrker » 2024/02/08 15:21:08

Thank you for your reply! Since this server does not assign IP addresses via DHCP but requires manual VLAN segmentation to obtain an IP, should I complete the VLAN configuration and then attempt to restart VNC?

Cyrker

Post by Cyrker » 2024/02/08 15:23:19

I also attempted to use a kickstart file, but encountered an issue: the IPMI interface can only mount one file at a time. If I opt to mount the ISO, I am unable to mount the kickstart file; conversely, if I choose the kickstart file, I cannot mount the ISO. Additionally, configuring the IP requires editing the boot menu and then using Alt+Tab to switch to another terminal for manual VLAN segmentation, which is necessary for the server to gain network connectivity.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2024/02/08 16:11:45

You can do VLAN connections from the installer but the kernel command line is not exactly nice and easy. You can also do it from a kickstart using syntax like

network --device=bond0 --onboot=yes --bootproto=static --noipv6 --noipv4 --bondopts=mode=802.3ad,miimon=100 --bondslaves=eno1,eno3 --hostname=yourhostname
network --device=bond0 --vlanid=999 --interfacename=bond0.999 -...
network --device=bond0 --vlanid=998 --interfacename=bond0.998 ...

You can also do it from the kernel command line, search for vlan= in the bootoptions link I posted earlier and it has syntax like vlan=vlan5:enp0s1 (has multiple syntax options so read the doc for more). If you have more than one interface and the one you want to use is not the first one then also look at bootdev=
Use the FAQ Luke

Cyrker

Post by Cyrker » 2024/02/08 17:39:12

The problem is solved! When the system asked me to choose VNC or TEXTMODE, I pressed alt+tab to switch to another terminal to configure vlan, then switched back to enable VNC, and then I could use the VNC connection to start the installation!
thanks for you reply again!