HP ScanJet Pro 2600 f1 under CentOS 8 Stream?

Issues related to hardware problems
centux

HP ScanJet Pro 2600 f1 under CentOS 8 Stream?

Post by centux » 2023/06/15 11:27:26

Hello,

find myself trying to make a brand new HP ScanJet Pro 2600 f1 run having CentOS8 Stream, but no success so far. I have the usual suspects around hplip installed together with their dependencies

Code: Select all

dnf list \*hplip\*
Installed Packages
hplip.x86_64                                                               3.18.4-9.el8                                                         @appstream
hplip-common.x86_64                                                        3.18.4-9.el8                                                         @AppStream
hplip-gui.x86_64                                                           3.18.4-9.el8                                                         @appstream
hplip-libs.x86_64                                                          3.18.4-9.el8                                                         @AppStream
But searching https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index one finds that the minimum required HPLIP-Version for this device is

How would I upgrade hplip to 3.22.4 ? Is this the time to migrate to CentOS 9 Stream?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

PS: The command hp-setup fails with the error

error: No devices found on bus: usb
but the device is found by lsusb and usb-devices, so I would assume it is indeed "just" the wrong hplip version.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: HP ScanJet Pro 2600 f1 under CentOS 8 Stream?

Post by TrevorH » 2023/06/15 13:42:16

If it's as new as that then Stream 9 will not help as it ships hplip 3.21.2

Usually it's just a matter of identifying the correct ppd file and pointing cups at that but I could not see any ppd files that mention 'scanjet' anywhere in either the rpm or that HP tarball.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

centux

Re: HP ScanJet Pro 2600 f1 under CentOS 8 Stream?

Post by centux » 2023/06/15 18:30:21

Thanks Trevor for the quick reply!

With an outlook that grim I went for more desperate measures like the rpm downloads on the mentioned HP-Site. They provide version 3.23.5 for RHEL 8 ... but that fails to install as is. Installing hplip from the repositories, downloading non-open-source stuff using hp-plugin and then forcefully installing the rpm-package proceeds, but leaves some open dependencies ... sigh. But at least the scanner is found by hp-check. As of now, however, too much is missing to have it work.

Not sure how long I want to go on screwing up a clean installation.

Thanks again.

PS: Where to possibly get packages avahi-devel and avahi-tools?