libcryptsetup module and libglib

Issues related to applications and software problems
G0sh3

libcryptsetup module and libglib

Post by G0sh3 » 2019/06/08 15:40:22

Hi,
I am in the midst of making a ReaR recovery work on my CentOS 7 VM, ReaR has an issue with modules, I am hoping these two modules, for which ReaR is complaining are not found, will get things moving:
libcryptsetup.so.4 wanted by /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cryptsetup
libglib-2.0.so.0 wanted by /usr/lib/udev/udev-kvm-check and /usr/lib/udev/rename-device

I have nothing attempted to install from source, all from repos: Base, Debuginfo, Sources and Vault. GUI not installed, it's all at multi-user target.
I have already installed cryptsetup following error messages about libcryptsetup module missing, however with no avail.
Is there a special repo to enable or a package to install to get these two modules on? yum provides doesn't return anything when I inquire on these two modules...

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: libcryptsetup module and libglib

Post by TrevorH » 2019/06/08 16:39:18

You shouldn't be using Vault as standard, it's the place where old CentOS releases go to die and should not be required. Debuginfo and Sources are similar to that but less critical since they don't contain out of date copies of packages but as a general rule you shouldn't need those either.

What you didn't mention as being enabled is the 'updates' repo and that is important as it contains all the security updates to packages that are in base.

All you should need to do is yum install rear and you should be ready to go. The libraries you mention: libcryptsetup.so.4 and libglib-2.0.so.0 are both supplied by other packages from base : cryptsetup-libs and glib2, also both from base/updates. If it's complaining with all those 3 packages installed then you've done something nasty to your system and it needs to be fixed.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

G0sh3

Post by G0sh3 » 2019/06/08 22:12:20

Thank you for your pointers Trevor, what I gather from your response is that I should do a yum update on this VM (CentOS 7.0 1406) and then try again.
As far as doing anything nasty, nothing even remotely close to anything fatal on this VM. It has a MariaDB database and some text files.
That was how ReaR was installed, yum install rear, nothing special.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/06/08 22:38:13

Oh, blimey, 7.0?? That's 5 years old. Yes, yum update is mandatory on that, not just for this but for the thousands and thousands of bugs and security vulnerabilities that have been fixed since 2014.
Use the FAQ Luke

G0sh3

Post by G0sh3 » 2019/06/08 23:18:03

After doing yum update the little progress I got is that now ReaR complains for only one missing module, libglib-2.0. Module libcryptsetup is now found somehow.
But still it is a no go with recovery. My goal is for ReaR to create an entry in GRUB menu and by booting into that entry that I get to do the recovery. Not using media nor network install/recovery.
While creating the recovery image with rear mkbackup, there's an error thrown that libglib-2.0 is missing and when I boot into ReaR entry recovery aborts with a message that mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/RELAXANDRECOVER /tmp/rear.xxxxx/outputfs failed- filesystem type needs to be specified.
Here's /etc/rear/local.conf:
OUTPUT=ISO
OUTPUT_URL=null
BACKUP=NETFS
BACKUP_URL= iso:///backup
ISODIR=/root
GRUB_RESCUE=1
#### these two to copy and load as many modules:
COPY_AS_IS=("${COPY_AS_IS[@]:-}"/lib/modules)
MODULES +=( udf )
along with an edit in /usr/share/rear/output/ISO/Linux-i386/820_create. . .sh that accompanies the MODULES directive...

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/06/09 00:34:44

It's very unlikely that there would ever be an entry called /dev/disk/by-uuid/RELAXANDRECOVER as RELAXANDRECOVER is not a uuid.

What are the exact error messages you are getting and what are command you running? Bear in mind that I've never installed rear let alone used it.
Use the FAQ Luke

G0sh3

Post by G0sh3 » 2019/06/09 19:23:37

ReaR promises a lot when I read its description and there is a particular scenario in which I'd love to see ReaR work its magic.
You are correct about that string not being a UUID, and the actual wording is "/dev/disk/by-label/REARRECOVER".
Log is quite lengthy, however the last few lines are the error notifications I get on the screen:
Log "Using unsupported backup program '$BACKUP_PROG'"; Log $BACKUP_PROG "${BACKUP_PROG_COMPRESS_OPTIONS[@]}" $BACKUP_PROG_OPTIONS_CREATE_ARCHIVE $TMP_DIR/backup-exclude.txt "${BACKUP_PROG_OPTIONS[@]}" $backuparchive $(cat $TMP_DIR/backup-include.txt) $RUNTIME_LOGFILE > $backuparchive; $BACKUP_PROG "${BACKUP_PROG_COMPRESS_OPTIONS[@]}" $BACKUP_PROG_OPTIONS_CREATE_ARCHIVE $TMP_DIR/backup-exclude.txt "${BACKUP_PROG_OPTIONS[@]}" $backuparchive $(cat $TMP_DIR/backup-include.txt) $RUNTIME_LOGFILE > $backuparchive
;;
esac 2> "${TMP_DIR}/${BACKUP_PROG_ARCHIVE}.log" )
/usr/share/rear/lib/_input-output-functions.sh: line 112: 31888 Terminated sleep $PROGRESS_WAIT_SECONDS
/usr/share/rear/lib/_input-output-functions.sh: line 140: pstree: command not found
2019-06-08 18:54:58.046314186 PID COMMAND
PID COMMAND
31941 /bin/bash /sbin/rear mkbackup
/usr/share/rear/lib/_input-output-functions.sh: line 157: kill: (31947) - No such process
2019-06-08 18:54:58.068301370 Running exit tasks
2019-06-08 18:54:58.076317698 Finished in 407 seconds
2019-06-08 18:54:58.078480360 You should also rm -Rf /tmp/rear.RdI7mQXpcXcJdry
2019-06-08 18:54:58.080589728 End of program reached
/usr/share/rear/lib/_input-output-functions.sh: line 196: echo: write error: Input/output error
I did yum install rear, modified its config file as I described in my previous post and then issued rear mkbackup for the creation of fully inclusive ISO to start and be added as a boot option when I reboot the system.
In addition to what is logged, I get error message on the screen right after issuing rear mkbackup:
/usr/lib/udev/rename_device requires additional libraries
libglib-2.0.so.0 => not found
/usr/lib/udev/udev-kvm-check requires additional libraries
libglib-2.0.so.0 => not found
The resulting ReaR ISO is actually listed as a boot option, I boot into it, issue rear recover as is asked from me on that screen and then almost immediately recovery aborts with the same message above about missing libglib module.
I ran yum whatprovides libglib, it confirmed libglib is part of glib2 package, I dutifully installed the package and still get that message about missing libglib module.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/06/09 19:48:45

There are two things that provide libglib-2.0.so.0: do you have both the x86_64 and the i686 packages installed?

Also looking at the other errors in your log, pstree comes from the psmisc package
Use the FAQ Luke

G0sh3

Post by G0sh3 » 2019/06/09 19:58:39

Confirmed, I have both versions of libglib, the x86_64 and i686, psmisc also installed.

G0sh3

Post by G0sh3 » 2019/06/09 23:41:52

I will be giving up on ReaR, it is neither Relax nor Recover, with an error message like this:
/usr/share/rear/lib/_input-output-functions.sh: line 157: kill 12385: no such process
Yes, I inspected the offending line 157 of the script mentioned in the error message:
kill -0 $descendant_pid || continue
And of course now I am supposed to dig further and debug their scripts, find out what is the importance and role of variable descendant_pid and so on, the entire experience with ReaR is nothing but error messages and aborted procedures, clearly this is a source code problem and not a users' error.
How those error messages about missing modules dissapeared- I edited /etc/rear/local.conf to keep only the bare minimum of configuration. And installed necessary packages that Trevor mentioned.
This obviously isn't a CentOS issue, thank you Trevor for your help, I'll be taking this to ReaR support pages.